Monday, June 25, 2007

Hey! I'm needing some advise over here....

The search for sailing lessons has begun, and there seems to be plenty around. Again, I’m faced with an amazing amount of choices. I can have a skipper work with me on my boat for $50 hr. or I can take private lessons on someone else’s boat for $33 an hour, or I can take a really in-depth class for two to three days for $350. That seems like a lot of money,... Bob never took lessons, he learned to sail by working on a boat, so he’s not offering much input in helping me decide what to do. But he is also from the old school of, "The best way to learn to ski is to stand at the top of the mountain, point your tips downhill and push off." To which my reaction would be, "Aaaaaaaahhhhh!" WHUMP! Tree. ...silence...

You know, I just don’t think this is an area to scrimp. If we’re really going to go out on the ocean, for months or years at a time, I think I should spring for the best I can find. Actually, I’m thinking of one of the full classes for $350, AND having someone come work with me, (us), on Evolution. I know Evolution is not the boat we will be on for years at a time when we are out crossing oceans. We’ll get a larger one for that. But we are planning on taking her up to Seattle and the San Juans, and depending on how she handles, we may even take her up the Inside Passage, which will take a few months. So I think having someone come on board and work with me on our boat is a good idea too. Hmmm, any suggestions? Do any of you local sailors have preferences or experience with any of these local sailing schools?

3 comments:

Jodi said...

My personal thought - get on one of the crab boats in the Bering Sea (ever watch Deadliest Catch???). I know they're not sailing but you'd be brave enough to do anything once you got home and the thought of sailing alone (God forbid you should ever have to but Bob is an old fart you know - tell him thanks for the comment on my birthday card!) would seem like a piece of cake. Was this at all helpful?

Anonymous said...

I saw your post asking about sailing lessons. Willamette Sailing Club has an associated sailing school called Willamette Sailing School, which offers lessons on dinghy sailing. You don't get all the lessons on cruising, navigation, maintenance, engines, and boat systems that you might get in a big boat course or a cruising-oriented course, but you learn about the wind and the sails, which, from your posts, seems to be your challenge. http://www.willamettesailingclub.com/wss/index.html

My offer to take you out on my Thistle still stands (see below). Also, if you want, I can give you lessons on your boat. I taught sailing to teenagers at Camp Sealth for six summers. I've been sailing since age 9, racing and cruising on boats 8 to 52 feet.

When you are cruising double-handed, you should think ahead, and figure out what would happen if one of you fell overboard (not uncommon at all). If it was Bob, how fast would you pick him up? If my wife fell overboard, I would get the boat back to pick her up in about 30 seconds under full sail. If I fell overboard ??? Do you do man overboard drills?

Anonymous said...

Although I'd make a poor correspondent (little time,etc...) I'll jump in and make a couple suggestions. A really terrific way to learn to sail is on
other people's boats. I don't know about Portland, but in Puget Sound there are sailing clubs, and also casual "beer can" races. Generally anyone who's
friendly, willing to chip in (with elbow grease and/or a six pack) is
welcome. Racing is a great way to learn how to sail, and you can learn a lot from observing others and picking their brains.

You might want to go to a sailing school and spend some time on smaller

boats as well. Dinghies respond INSTANTLY to changes in sail trim,
rudder
angle, etc. The skills you learn are transferrable, and if you sail
small
boats enough your reactions become instinctive and reflexive.

If you choose to continue learning on your own be EXTREMELY cautious
and
respectful of commercial traffic and stay in well protected waters for
a
while.

Good Luck!