Friday, June 29, 2007

Another rat jumps ship...

We went over to Rocky Point to work on the boat the other day. Before going, we stopped and bought a telescoping broom handle and special brush head that was stiff for scrubbing the hull below the waterline. The handle cost $40, but because it extended to 12 feet verses the 7 feet of most handles, we sprung for it. Same with the $10 brush head.

Our $50 ‘broom’ worked great. Evolution got her bottom scrubbed, and I’m sure she enjoyed every minute of it! However, it’s the last time she’ll enjoy it, because like the bolt off the tiller handle, the broom decided to jump ship. Yep, it’s laying at the bottom of a 25 foot deep marina.

Bob laid it down on the dock while we walked over to the restroom, and upon our return, it was gone. Now either a band of renegade cliff swallows made off with it, or it went in the drink. We highly suspect the latter. We stood there and tried to figure out how to retrieve it. I offered to hold Bob by his ankles, and dangle him over the edge until he found it. But he still wouldn’t be able to reach it, and he didn’t like that idea anyway. Go figure! He thought of lowering a strong magnet on a rope, but I reminded him that the handle is aluminum, and the head was plastic, so that wouldn't work. He even considered snorkeling down to get it, but 25 feet is pretty deep. So I guess the broom stays below.

I’m glad I didn’t drop the darn thing down there. I’d have NEVER heard the end of it. But since it was him, well you know, accidents happen, it’s no big deal.

1 comment:

kate said...

Who knew sailing had so many hidden costs?? I know: maybe instead of swallows, it was seagulls! Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine!

I really, really like the visual of you dangling Bob by his ankles... : )