Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Sherman Tank of Sewing Machines

I’m doing a lot of sewing for Evolution. All the cushions need replaced, and I need to make some heavy duty, durable covers for the engine and some of the hardware. A few equipment bags for storage would be nice to.

Working with canvas and other heavy fabrics, can be a nightmare. After breaking several needles and smoking the motor on the ol’ Singer, trying to sew through four layers of canvas, one might be tempted to think it can’t be done and just give up.

Enter the Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1, the sherman tank of sewing machines. This is the coolest machine I have ever owned, and I’ve been sewing since I was 7 years old. (And NO! We won’t say how long that’s been!) Granted, it can’t embroider a tulip design on my tea towels, but it can sew through eight layers of heavy canvas, and then with a quick needle change, I can whip up a little satin evening dress!

My Sailrite is small, portable, and it's all metal, unlike most sewing machines that are plastic. It’s meant to be used in the damp, rugged, rough and tumble environment of a sailboat. It has a very heavy duty case to protect it. This baby could fly across the cabin during heavy seas, and not sustain a scratch. It might go right on through the hull,… but it wouldn’t get hurt in the process! Come to think of it, it could probably even double as an anchor!

The best part of my machine is,… for a fancy plastic machine that could do this, I’d have spent well over $1,000, and it would still burn out and/or break after a year or two of that treatment, but my Sailrite was under $800 and will travel the world with us, fixing sails and repairing cushions for many, many years!

P.S. I also do repairs and custom sewing. Got a project that needs done? Just whistle!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

WOW! That looks like fun! I have a great idea for a project! I think it would be awesome for you to sew a valance-type thingy to hang down about 4 feet over the end of mom's patio cover. You could make if out of white canvas but it would hang low enough to add some extra shade for the patio. If I got the dimensions, do you think something like that would work?

kate said...

Cool!! And it's even a purdy color! Cuz that's what REALLY matters. : )

Happy sewing, sister!